Ever wondered why the church is weak, why our hearts are hardened to sin, why we are so quick to judge others and slow to judge ourselves? Edmund Calamy knew what many of the spiritual problems in the church could be attributed to – a lack of meditating on God’s word.
Do you want to prosper in everything you do? Then you need to meditate on God’s word. Psalm 1 tells us that the person who delights in God’s law and meditates on it day and night is whose is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither—whatever they do prospers.
Edmund Calamy (1600-1666) was a presbyterian elder from the 17th century. He talked about the dangers of neglecting meditation. 400 years later his words still resonate loudly. ‘The reason why the saints of God walk so uncomfortably all their lives long is because they do not chew these promises.’ To be clear, we are not talking about mindfulness or transcendental meditation. These practices are at best good psychology and at worst doorways to the demonic. Rather we are talking about meditating on the word of God. Taking time to think about it, reflect on it, chew it over, analyse it and apply it to our lives. Allowing our thoughts to drift into the depths of a Bible verse and reflecting on it during the course of a day.
Edmund Calamy listed 12 problems that are caused when we fail to meditate on God’s word. I provide a copy of them below. Please take time to mediate on these words and these scriptures.
1. Hardening of heart in sin. Jeremiah 8:6, 1 Kings 8:47
2. The reason why all the sermons we hear do us no more good is for lack of divine meditation. You have to digest sermons, not just hear them. Don’t let satan steal the word from you Luke 8:5
3. The reason why the promises of God do no more affect your hearts, when the saints of God taste no more sweetness in the promises, is because you do not ponder and meditate upon them. Chew on God’s truths to release the truth. As you crush spices to release the flavours. The reason why the saints of God walk so uncomfortably all their lives long is because they do not chew these promises.
4. The reason why the threatenings of God make no more impression upon our hearts is for lack of meditation. Meditate the effects of our sin before God and we will no longer want to sin!
5. The reason why the mercies of God do no more good upon us is for lack of meditation.
6. The reason why afflictions do work no more upon us and why we are never the better for the afflicting hand of God is for lack of meditation. Ecclesiastes 7:14.
7. The reason why the providences of God take no more impression upon our hearts is for lack of this grace of meditation.
8. What is the reason that the saints of God are so distrustful of God’s providences when they are ready presently to sink and to say they are undone? It is for lack of meditation. Luke 12:22-25, 27. Consider the ravens … meditate on this.
9. The reason why the professors of religion are so censorious of other men and so little censorious of themselves, why they judge every man and examine every man but themselves (which is the condition of these days), is for lack of meditation. Matthew 7:1-3.
10. The reason why professors of religion do offer the sacrifices of fools to God when they come to worship Him, why they pray headily and rashly, why they rush upon ordinances without preparation is for lack of meditation.
11. What is the reason that people prepare no more for death? No meditation.
12. And lastly, what is the reason that we come so unworthily to the [Lord’s Supper]? No meditation.
Let’s take time to meditate on God’s word today. Why not begin with Psalm 1. Learn it, chew on it and enjoy the blessings of seeing it lived out in your life.